Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transporting a Stratos

Re: Transporting a Stratos

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    And I believe Craig is working on electric windows now. ,,,,or maybe I dreamed that
    it was actually Chris Smith with his Hawk that pioneered electric windows I think, he also had AC.
    And he did many thousands of miles across Europe in the car as well.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

Think that'd actually be a step too far for me. I'd be terrified of not being able to get them to close once opened.... now electric seats and an umbrella in the door aperture - now yer talking!

SEC Member

I take your point, Guy, but say I want to do the Western Isles of Scotland (which I am fond of doing). That's 9 hours & over 400 miles from me, of properly dull roads. Anglesey: 5 hours & 300 miles. Even LB towers is a 7 hour round trip from here (all these numbers are without taking into account any stops). I might occasionally also want to take my partner along with me &/or the dog (a Great Dane).

So.........see what I'm saying? Driving isn't an option for these kind of trips. That said, my car won't be no garage queen; I'll put plenty of miles under it.

Cheers,
    Hedge

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post
    What's the point of trailering a car that puts a huge smile on your face when you drive it? Okay, if you're contemplating the type of use that might result in damage then getting it home post prang means a transporter is useful but didn't we build these cars to be driven? It's not like they're totally impractical like a GT40, some of you even have aircon I believe!

SEC Member

I can see the logic there. A friend and I did a week in the Highlands with our (motor)bikes back in '96, but we borrowed a Discovery, hired a small box trailer, and chucked the bikes in there. Great move - did a day on the bikes, a day in the car, etc. Best of both worlds and saved me a month in hospital being straightened out after a week and the thick end of 2k miles on a Ducati 916....ouch, it hurts even thinking about how that'd have gone even now! And a Strat ain't the most cosseting of cars.... no, I reckon if you're gonna transport it, a covered trailer is the way to go. And when you're not using the car, it's covered up and out of sight as well.

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    I can see the logic there. A friend and I did a week in the Highlands with our (motor)bikes back in '96, but we borrowed a Discovery, hired a small box trailer, and chucked the bikes in there. Great move - did a day on the bikes, a day in the car, etc. Best of both worlds and saved me a month in hospital being straightened out after a week and the thick end of 2k miles on a Ducati 916....ouch, it hurts even thinking about how that'd have gone even now! And a Strat ain't the most cosseting of cars.... no, I reckon if you're gonna transport it, a covered trailer is the way to go. And when you're not using the car, it's covered up and out of sight as well.
    2k on a 916. Yikes. Until v recently I had an SPS 916 (& still have a 998s FE). 2k in a whole year on either is a little daunting!

For the record, as I said I'm not after a trailer (I've an EV as a daily) so it's something along the lines of what Chris suggested - but wider....

Cheers,
    Hedge

Can see your point Andrew 400 there and 400 back that's 800 miles round trip and then any mileage you may clock up when there . Also depending on how people insured their car is there mileage limitations if only insured for a couple of thousand miles you could use half you allowance in one trip.

SEC Member

Exactly that, yup. Some of the routes to reach these destinations are crushingly dull, to boot. The one to Scotland, in particular....

Cheers,
    Hedge

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny m View Post
    Can see your point Andrew 400 there and 400 back that's 800 miles round trip and then any mileage you may clock up when there . Also depending on how people insured their car is there mileage limitations if only insured for a couple of thousand miles you could use half you allowance in one trip.

Quote Originally Posted by hedge View Post
    Exactly that, yup. Some of the routes to reach these destinations are crushingly dull, to boot. The one to Scotland, in particular....

Cheers,
    Hedge
    Ahh, but when you arrive, you HAVE arrived.

SEC Member

Sadly Jim, there's always someone in the area that ruins it for everyone else.

SEC Member

Hedge - yeah, there's something about the 916-line of bikes that's just so special. Not put many miles on mine these last few years but it doesn't matter, it's worth keeping just so I can go in the garage and look at it.
    Funnily nuff, having recently moved, I've just been down the local Ducati dealer in Carlisle this afternoon on a bit of a fact-finding visit. Drooled over a luvverly Panigale V4R with all the extras on it...?33.5K but even if I could afford it, I prob wouldn't cos I'd never be able to do it justice. Even assuming I could manage to get on the thing....it's crap getting old!!